Sunday, July 15, 2012

Hobart part one

It's rare that an artwork gives me that exhilarating heart thumping moment, but that happened a number of times at MONA. I felt rather privileged to stand among some interesting and confronting work and be inspired by it all. Especially great was their display of barkcloth from areas such as Fiji and Papua New Guinea. This space also displayed one of Alberto Giacometti's standing bronze figues. I loved the Sol LeWitt wall piece, the old treasures in their new exhibition, Theatre of the World, Rafael Lozano-Hemmer's Pulse Room, Julius Popp Bit-Fall and too many others to name. I can't wait to go back again.  

Here are a a few things I got up to... Dinner at Garagistes. Breakfast at Pigeon Hole. When asking, we found that Pigeon Whole supplied quite a few of the places we went to with delicious sourdough bread. Sidecar for their pickles and hand made chips and the intimate little bar space. Bruny Island cheese at A Common Ground. I wish I wasn't quite so full when we tucked into coffee at Tricycle. I really wanted to try their food. Jackman and McRoss bakeries make a mean meat pie. We wandered around North Hobart and bought a few things from Sweet Envy. I tried one of their desserts that I can't stop thinking about. Covered in chocolate and sandwiched between two layers of thin chocolate cake, was a delicious chocolate buttercream and gooey salted caramel. On this occasion, we found our way here on the way home to Melbourne, but would have loved to have turned around for more delicious treats. Perhaps next time!

No comments: