Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Old travel photographs

There is nothing more beautiful than a silver gelatin print with deep glossy blacks. With never enough time in the darkroom, these were photographs from my first trip to Europe that remained little prints on my contact sheet. I carried my medium format twin lens mamiya and heavy tripod all over, taking mostly portraits of my family. After talking about traveling with a friend I couldn't resist the urge to get these out and scan some negatives.
San Gimignano Towers, Siena

Istanbul

Ancient graffiti in the Hagia Sofia, Istanbul

My father was born under a tree in this little town outside Pula, Croatia.

Lanišće sits in a huge valley surrounded by tall ominious mountains. I travelled here in middle of winter with a large group of friends to take some photographs. Afterwards we ended up at a local restaurant for a dinner I will never forget. We drank rakija (the Istrian version of grappa) with honey to ward away the cold.


No comments: